banner ad

How to Set Netflix Parental Controls

| July 25, 2013 | Comments (8)
Print Friendly

Parents, if your family’s like mine, then they enjoy Netflix at home and on-the-go. While there are a number of quality shows, and a section devoted specifically to kids, know that your child or younger teen can still access adult content, some of which is rated TV-MA.

The great thing about Netflix is they make it super easy to set parental controls. I also like that the only place you can adjust parental controls is from your computer, so as long as your children don’t know your account password, you’ll be the only one who can adjust the controls.

Here’s what you need to do.

Step 1) From a computer, log in to your Netflix account and click the Your Account link in the top right corner.

Netflix_1

Step 2) Scroll down and click the Parent Control Setting link under Preferences.

Netflix_2

Step 3) On the next page, you’ll be presented with a slider that you can adjust based on the age of your children, or based on the type of content you want to allow of that specific day.

Netflix_#

You can change this at any time, but keep in mind these changes can take up to 8 hours to take effect on some devices. Below is a breakdown of how Netflix provides content for each setting.

netflix 4If you live outside of the United States, you can learn more about these settings apply to your country rating codes by visiting this page.

Netflix also warns parents of the following:

• On the website, you may still see box art for restricted content on the Watch Instantly homepage and in search results, but these titles will not be playable if they exceed your current maturity levels.
  • On your devices, restricted content will still appear in Netflix search results, but will be unavailable for playback if the maturity rating of the title exceeds the current maturity levels for your account.

Parents, as I mentioned at the beginning of this guide, Netflix is a great family entertainment service, but as with any online service or digital device, we have to be mindful of the content that our children have access to before they access it. So, use these tools to your advantage, and if you have family or friends with young children, be sure to tell them about it too.

Category: Mobile Safety, Safety, Tutorials

Comments (8)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Paublo says:

this is the most primitive parental control I have ever seen and is completely ineffective. Time to look for a new service that provides adequate protections for our children.

2. scc says:

Seems like the simple answer is to allow each profile to have it’s own password and separate permissions, but only allow the primary to update the permissions online. If you have to charge a few bucks more, ok. But agree with the above posts that this really does defeat the purpose.

3. James Lyon says:

Also frustrated with this and dissapointed netflix hasnt resolved the issue. We are having to remove the app from our 6 yr olds kindle and tv because all she has to do is clivk on the adults profile to begin watching innapropiate content. And there is no way to prevent it unless we are standing there monitoring every minute of it. Kind of defeats the purpose of a parental cobtrol when you have to be the parental control yoursef. Cmon netflix, get it together.

4. Parentbalt says:

Netflix does NOT make it super easy. They make it almost impossible. If I set it so they can’t watch R-rated movies, then I can’t watch them either unless I want to wait 8 hours for the change to happen? Ridiculous.

5. tom says:

also note even if you set 2 of the profiles as kids under 12. and leave the 3rd as an adult. those settings will not stop content if the net flix app is used instead of a browser. example say you have your kids set for under age 12. and you decide to watch scandal tonight. well when your 8 year old opens his netflix login it will show him that you watched scandal. and if he or she clicks it, it will play. now if he or she searches for it manually it won’t play. but once you watch something in the adult profile the kids profile get a list with you profile name that they can click on which is dumb lol.

I think netflix is doing this on purpose so that adults will have to pay for 2 separate accounts

6. Leslie Sunday says:

Can you set a password so the kids can’t change profiles? I don’t see how to do it.

• Jeff Hall says:

I see no way to keep the kids from changing the parental control settings for their profile. I need a separate password to be requested when a parental control change is attempted. My kids could choose any profile when first logging in. It’s very easy for my kids to get around the parental control by switching profiles on the app. I’m forced to set me and my wife’s profiles to the teen setting to limit all of the profiles but nothing prevents my kids from getting on the browser and changing parental controls on their profile. This needs to be resolved by Netflix. Just allow me to define a separate password for changing parental controls and I’ll keep that password from the kids.

• Christina says:

Ahhh! I just had to revoke access to all devices and change our password. We just caught my 10 year old step daughter switched profiles so she could watch Orange is the New Black! VERY inappropriate!