banner ad
banner ad

Disabling In-App Purchases on iOS and Android Devices

| August 16, 2012 | Comments (26)
Print Friendly

In-app purchases can pose one of the biggest headaches for parents whose children have smartphones or tablets. If you assigned your credit card to your child’s smartphone, you probably didn’t give it much thought. By why would you? They don’t have their own credit card, so it only made sense. But what parents usually don’t realize about these devices is that their child has easy access to three different types of mobile apps out there:

1. Free
  2. Paid-for
  3. “Freemium”

The first two are self-explanatory, but freemium is a word that’s new to a lot of people, and it essentially means that the app is free to download and free to use, for the most part, but the user has the option to make purchases from within the app. These purchases are tied directly to your credit card account, making the entire purchasing process rather easy and fast for even the youngest child.

Months later, the unsuspecting parent takes a look at their credit card statement only to find a $5 charge here, a $10 charge there and a few more $1 charges from a company they’ve never heard of. At this point, of course, it’s a day too late, but that doesn’t mean you can’t prevent it from happening again. Below is a guide that shows you how to quickly disable in-app purchases in an Apple or Android mobile device, including smartphones and tablets. Please share it with other parents who you think would benefit from it.

Disabling In-App Purchases on Apple Devices (iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone)

1. Tap the “Settings” icon
  2. Tap “General”
  1. Tap “Restrictions” and then “Enable Restrictions”
  1. Enter a PIN and re-enter to confirm
  1. Now, scroll down and turn off in-app purchases

Disabling In-App Purchases on Android Devices

1. Open the Google Play Store app
  2. Press the “Menu” button and then choose “Settings”
  3. Scroll down a bit and under “User Controls” select “Set or Change PIN”
  4. Enter a PIN and press OK
  5. Re-enter the PIN
  6. Check the box that says “Use PIN for purchases”

Now you can take comfort in knowing that your child is enjoying their smartphone without having to worry about an unexpected credit card bill or them seeing content that you don’t approve of. Technology should be enjoyed by all of us, especially our children, but only when parents are involved and proactive!

Category: Mobile Safety, Tutorials

Comments (26)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Fay says:

I was charged for a booster on Candy Crush that I was unable to use. Would like to be credited for $1.09

2. TK says:

This info is out of date.I really need to konw how can I turn off the parental control.
    OS is Android 4.1.2

3. Regina says:

Hola, hace mas de un mes no puedo jugaren la app descargada en mi ipad 1, la aplicacion no abre y si abre e inicio el juego se cierra a cada momento y me de ja sin vidas, alguien que me ayude que puedo hacer?

4. Rita says:

For the last three days, I have not been able to see how my friends r doing on candy Crush. I keep getting this msg”sorry, you r not connected to Kingdom now”. My friends have sent me extra lives but am unable to receive them. I have access when I have to pay for extra lives. Fix this problem ASAP n give me my lives. Stop ripping me off.

5. Terri scott says:

At level 345, the “play on” button is too close to the “give up” button. I am being charged 1.99, when I select the give up button. Please make the necessary changes which asks, do you want to buy a play on. Otherwise you are applying charges that are not being asked for by the customer.

6. FABIANA says:

YO TENGO UN BLACKBERRY SE PUEDE BAJAR IGAL EL JUEGO XQ EL TECLADO ES COMO EL D LA COMPU

7. Willemien says:

the info for the android google play settinng is out of date, can you make a new one?

8. Diane Freeland says:

My email address was incorrect when I selected a password. Now that it has been corrected, my password no longer works and I cannot make candy crush purchases. Can you help?

9. Petra says:

Ik heb level 350 uit ge speelt op mijn androit pc en wacht nu tot de volgen episode vrij komt voor androit pc. Op de gewone pc zit ik al veel verder dan op de tabledt pc

10. Mick walker says:

To purchase some more lives for farm heroes for 50 lives it costs £2.99 , but on this level you can not buy just one lot you have to buy two. Why the odd numbers ie 9 for a recharge and on other games 44 why?

11. rahul says:

Y I can’t connect with facebook..

12. Anarda Stewart says:

I made a purchase for 10 gold bars on farm heroes, but I did not receive the bars.

13. Tânia Barroso says:

Boa noite. Sempre que entro no jogo com o wi-fi ligado sai automaticamente do jogo (isto desde que houve uma atualização do jogo). Agora não consigo fazer pedidos nem enviar. O que devo fazer?

14. Becky says:

I purchased a Facebook game card and redeemed it on my Facebook account from my desktop PC. So, now I have $25 credit to use for in-app purchases. So, I used that to purchase gold bars, which is what Candy Crush requires. However, I can’t seem to use it, or even have access to it when playing Candy Crush on my iPad. Every time I try to make an in-app purchase from my iPad it takes me into iTunes and wants me to put in my credit card info. How do I make in-app purchases from the iPad without going through iTunes?

15. Mara Lupo says:

I updated my iPhone and cannot access my candy crush. I was on level 197. I did not lose it on my iPad or PC and would like it back. Plse help

16. roby says:

Il mio problema e che non vedo piu nel mio tablet gli animali da salvare sono trasparenti cosa posso fare?

17. Gina Ladner says:

I want to remove my credit card info from Google play, I do not want any more charges. Please tell me how to do this on my tablet and cellphone. Thanks.

18. Theresa says:

I was not aware of being charged for playing Candy Crush. When a pop up scree would come up my nephew would X off of it and I toke him that if he didn’t hit purchase that it should be okay. Well to my surprise it wasn’t because now my account is being charged for this. I think that instead of advertising FREE that there shoukd be a warning beside of FREE. I would greatly appreciate it if the money could be refunded. I have no other choice but to delete this game. I am not going to give it a good rating and I will try to warn others what will happen to their account.

19. Stef78 says:

My cellphone is automatic charging and not asking for purchases. How do I remove my cellphone from automatic charges.

20. Craig chelton says:

Fed up of being billed for in app purchases I have not made – what are you going to do?

Had another bill today.. I have not purchased anything

Craig

• Juliette rubio says:

KING is always charging double If you buy twice .99 cents they send you à Bill of 10 or 12.00. They are thieves. I am FED up with those charges. I took out my crédit card. Now i buy iTune cards but Its the same. I buy for 2.00 and they tell me that i have not enough crédit to buy more moves. The best thing is not to buy moves They are stealing money They must stop stealing money. They always charges and we do not buy.

21. carrie Brawley says:

anyway to remove a charge that was accidently placed by a 3 yr old?????

22. Joanne says:

I am trying to purchase the next level and I keep getting error code involving URL not able to connect. All my restrictions are disabled to allow e to purchase